Biology Committee Meeting
July 1-2, 1998, UDWR, Salt Lake City, UT
ATTENDEES: Frank Pfeifer, Larry Crist, Mike Carnevale, Tom Pitts, Gary Burton, John Hawkins, Kevin Christopherson, Tom Chart, Robert Forrest, Tom Czapla, Angela Kantola, Dave Swanson, Henry Maddux, Pat Nelson, Bob Muth, Tim Modde, Tom Pruitt, Dan Beyers, Kevin Bestgen, Barry Saunders.
Action or "to-do" items are identified by a ">."
Recommendations to the Management Committee are in ALL CAPS.
Wednesday, July 1 (Convene 8:30 am, Adjourn 5:00pm)
1. Miscellaneous committee business - Henry Maddux noted that the Management Committee is hosting a ground (bus) tour of Colorado River mainstem water management facilities. Biology Committee members are invited.
2. Review/modify agenda - The agenda was modified as it appears below.
3. Review/finalize report by Muth et. al "Reproduction and early life history of razorback sucker in the Green River, Utah and Colorado, 1992-1996. The Committee approved the report as final.
4. FY 99 Workplan review - Henry Maddux introduced the draft work plan and budget summary, discussed the limited funding, and outlined the process the Program Director's staff used to develop the draft plan. Henry noted that some of the new scopes of work were not received in time to undergo complete peer review before the Program Director's office had to make their recommendations. Frank Pfeifer recommended that we stop considering new scopes of work that aren't submitted by the peer-review deadline. Tom Czapla distributed a revised scope of work for the new, unsolicited project to develop and supply feed for Colorado squawfish (instead of razorback sucker). Henry called attention to operation and management costs for the new Grand Valley hatchery facility and Frank said that only an additional $25K is needed for that (instead of $50K). Henry asked the Committee to try to "balance the budget" as they recommend revisions to the draft work plan. Larry Crist suggested that the Committee also develop a contingency list, as they have in the past. The Committee reviewed each project under their purview. Their comments individual scopes of work are recorded in the table at the end of this meeting summary.
Discussion of Old Charley Wash (OCW) operation: Pat says he thinks OCW can be used for both native fish rearing and nonnative fish control. Larry Crist recommended basing operations on hydrology, so that when flows >14,000 cfs (flows over-top the dike), we operate for native fish rearing; when flows are below that, we use OCW use to control nonnatives. Tim Modde suggested that OCW also could be used to growout age-1 hatchery fish to better acclimate them to the wild environment. The Committee recommended that if it's a low water year and OCW is not stocked with endangered fish for growout, we'll operate it at the discretion of the Refuge Manager (with a recommendation from Program that it be drained in July for removal of nonnatives). If it's a high water year, and flows overtop the banks into OCW then we'll wait and drain it in late October to facilitate removal of native and endangered fish with minimum mortality. Since we had overbank flows this year, the Committee decided we should wait to drain it until October. >Pat will develop an operation plan for OCW reflecting this.
>Tim Modde needs to provide the Committee with a revised FY 98 scope of work for Yampa River catfish removal (#88).
THE BIOLOGY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDED THAT THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE ASK THE COLORADO DIVISION OF WILDLIFE TO MAKE A PRESENTATION ON POND RECLAMATION AT THEIR AUGUST MEETING. >The Program Director agreed and will inform Colorado of this request. >Colorado also should send the Biology Committee a list of the ponds that have been reclaimed this year.
The Committee identified their need to further examine the problem of limited razorback broodstock, and put this on the agenda for their next meeting.
>Tom Czapla will find out the status of the DNA fingerprinting work (the Program provided samples, but didn't provide funding to the follow-up work). Tom Czapla said that the results of work that the Program funded were inconclusive. (This was reported at DFC, but was a Program report completed?)
Kevin Bestgen emphasized the need to continue early squawfish life history research (such as proposed in 22e and 22f). Kevin presented data showing that while adult Colorado squawfish abundance in the Green River basin is 2-3 times higher than in the mid-80's, age-0 Colorado squawfish abundance has declined dramatically in recent years, especially in the lower Green River where most juveniles are produced.
>Larry Crist and Tom Czapla will work together to convene the ISMP group to clarify ISMP objectives, but first, the Biology Committee spend some time discussing this. >The Program Director's office will draft something for the Biology Committee to begin discussing. >Tom Czapla will work with Ron Ryel to revise the FY 99 ISMP evaluation scope of work.
>Tom Czapla will follow-up on the overdue revised IMO model report from Todd Crowl (the revision is supposed to incorporate most of Grand Junction CRFP's and Kevin Bestgen's comments).
The Committee asked the >Program Director's office to be sure to provide copies of peer review comments with the scopes of work in the future.
For future reference, Angela Kantola asked how the Committee preferred the Program Director's office to show their revisions to the proposed scopes of work; the Committee preferred the redline/strike-out method over placing comments at the end of the SOW's.
Thursday, July 2 (Convene 8:00am, Adjourn noon)
5. Other business:
a. Utah reports out for peer review - Tom Pitts inquired as to the status of reports Utah sent out for peer review (he heard that some peer reviewers had returned reports saying they were not yet ready for review). Henry Maddux said that many of the reports had hand-written editorial comments that had not yet been incorporated, some had unlabeled figures, one was formatted as a master's thesis, and others also were in the wrong format. Tom Chart apologized that some of the reports were sent out in poor format. He said they've received some peer review comments and hope to have better drafts out before the Management Committee meeting. The Committee discussed the peer review process and agreed that PI's are supposed to check with intended reviewers first to make sure they're willing to do a review. Tami has been checking with the peer reviewers on the Utah reports. Kevin Christopherson said they've developed a table of reports they have due and their status, >which they will provide to the Biology Committee and the Program Director's office (or just post to the listserver). >The Program Director's office will update the reports due list based on this table and post the update to the listserver in advance of the August Management Committee meeting.
On the subject of reports, Tom Czapla noted that the Dowling report is out for peer review and available for early Biology Committee review (contact Tom Czapla for a copy). Tom Czapla distributed a revised Genetics Management Plan for discussion at the next Biology Committee meeting. Pat Nelson noted that the revised Wydoski and Wick report has been sent out and should be discussed at the next meeting, also.
b. Nonnative fish disposal near Ouray Refuge - The Ouray Refuge Manager (Dan Alonso) has concerns about disposing nonnative fish in and around the refuge (either burying on the Refuge or throwing them up on the levees). He's talked with everyone except Utah about it and all have agreed to find alternative methods. >Gary Burton will post Dan's memo to the listsever. >The Program Director's office will check with Dan in a few months to make sure the problem hasn't recurred. >Tom Chart will make sure that Mark Hadley is aware of some of the current rumors in the basin about the Program's nonnative fish removal activities.
6. Schedule next meeting - The next meeting will be September 1-2 in Grand Junction (starting at 10 a.m. on the 1st and ending by 3p.m. on the 2nd). >Frank Pfeifer will arrange a meeting room (and perhaps a barbecue).
Items for next meeting agenda
Discussion of how to resolve the problem of limited razorback broodstock.
Discussion of where to get Colorado squawfish eggs or fry for the new 24-Road Hatchery.
Discussion of disposal of excess fish (from large family lots).
Discussion of ISMP objectives.
Review/approval of revised Genetics Management Plan
Review/approval of revised Wydoski and Wick floodplain report.
Input from BC regarding proposal for extensive oil and gas development in the Green (Duchesne) River floodplain (details have been sent to the Biology Committee).
Tim Modde said that the Park Service will probably fund two studies: 1) CSF telemetry study in Lodore Canyon; and 2) movement of razorback suckers on the bar and an associated sediment movement study (the one we asked them to defer one year). >Tim will get those sent to the Committee or posted to the listserver so that the Committee can discuss and comment on them at the next meeting.
Ice study report
Haines and Modde squawfish winter survival and movement
Biology Committee Comments on and Revisions to Program Director's Recommended FY 99 Work Plan
|NUMBER||STATUS||TITLE||TOTAL||ANN. FUNDS||CAP. FUNDS||BIOLOGY COMMITTEE COMMENTS|
|I. Instream Flow Identification and Protection||$3,776,500||$274,500||$2,710,300|
|17||OR||Green & Yampa River Chan. Mon.||$29,000||$29,000||Add a thermograph at Mineral Bottom on the Green River. Standardize the|
|19b||O||Biology Hydrology Support||$48,000||$48,000|
|54||Aspinall Synthesis of Studies||$0|
|84||OR||Duchesne River Biological Studies||$150,000||$150,000|
|85||OR||Colorado R. Chan. Mon. (15-M Reach)||$16,400||$16,400||Make sure that Coordinated Reservoir operations work group reviews this|
|86||O||Peer Review of Geomorphology||$10,000|
|CAP-9||OR||Yampa Operation Plan||$399,000||$399,000|
|II. Habitat Restoration||$4,166,300||$146,300||$4,020,000|
|CAP-4b||O||Redlands Fish Passage||$71,000||$71,000||Correct page numbers (it has two page 2's).|
|CAP-17b||O||GVIC Fish Passage Evaluation||$56,100||$56,100|
|CAP-5||O||Price-Stubb Fish Passage||$675,000||$675,000|
|CAP-5b||NEW||Price-Stubb Passage Evaluation||$0||$0|
|CAP-15||OR||Tusher Wash Div. Structure Studies||$79,000||$79,000|
|CAP-23||O||Grand Valley Project Fish Passage||$420,000||$420,000|
|CAP-||NEW||Hartland Fish Passage||$50,000||$50,000|
|95/CAP6S||OR||Selenium effects on razorbacks||$43,400||$43,400||Pat Nelson reported that NIWQP has agreed to fund $35K.|
|NEW||NEW||Selenium effects on RBS vs. other natives||$31,900||$31,900||This SOW will be significantly revised. Pat Nelson reported that NIWQP is|
|NEW||NEW||Experimental RBS spawning in selenium||$0||$0|
|CAP-6||OR||Floodplain Restoration Program|
|OR||Contaminants site screening||$83,400||$83,400|
|OR||Land acquisition||$1,947,800||$1,947,800||Tom Pitts recommended asking NFWF to help us get short-term staff to|
|OR||Old Charley nonnative fish removal||$8,900||$8,900||The Committee agreed to the following operational scenario: if it's a low|
|OR||Walter Walker selenium remediation||$51,100||$51,100|
|OR||Gravel Pit native/nonnative fish||$40,000||$40,000||BOR agreed this could be funded under capital funds.|
|OR||Green River levee removal evaluation||$365,300||$365,300|
|NEW||Effects of FBR on white-top distr.||$22,700||$22,700||Pat said this SOW will be revised based on peer review comments. BC|
|NEW||Role of levee removal on mosquitoes||$20,700||$20,700||Pat said this SOW will be revised based on peer review comments. BC|
|OR||Floodplain public involvement plan|
|III. Reduce Nonnative Fish and Sportfish Impacts||$718,000||$446,000||$171,800|
|59||O||Green River Nonnative Fish mgmt.||$70,000||$70,000||BC believes budget is high for report preparation. >Utah will look into this|
|87||Small Nonnative Cyprinid Removal|
|87a||O||Cyprinid removal - Utah||$87,500||$87,500|
|87b||OR||Cyprinid removal - Colorado||$54,000||$54,000|
|88||O||Yampa Channel Catfish Removal||$90,800||$90,800||Change PI to Tim Modde.|
|89||OR||Colorado R. Centrarchid Removal||$50,000||$50,000||The main difference between this study and #87b is that this uses|
|NEW||NEW||Yampa River Nonnative Fish Control||$93,700||$93,700||This SOW should be revised based on peer review comments. BC would|
|CAP-18||OR||Colorado River Pond Reclamation||$272,000||$171,800||The Committee expressed concerns based on past performance. This will|
|IV. Propagation & Genetics Management||$1,118,700||$388,000||$406,700|
|25||OR||Bonytail Introduction||$96,000||$96,000||Update SOW to reflect current status of flow-training work; provide status|
|29||OR||O&M Propagation Facilities|
|29a||OR||Grand Valley||$189,000||$189,000||BC added $25K needed for additional O&M costs at new facility.|
|29d||OR||Ouray||$308,000||Costs seem high in comparison to other facilities. FWS should confirm these|
|29c||OR||Wahweap||$83,000||$83,000||Is $8K needed to culture and transport bonytail if we're not doing flow|
|29d||OR||Adult razorback collection||$20,000||$20,000|
|93||OR||Gila hybridization||$16,000||In light of outyear costs, the BC asked if the MC committed to funding 50%|
|CAP-7||OR||Expansion of Facilities|
|OR||Grand Valley Endangered Fish Facility||$100,000||$100,000|
|OR||Ouray National Fish Hatchery||$50,000||$50,000|
|OR||PIT tags and readers for augmentation||$90,000||$90,000||This is all PIT tags for $90K.|
|OR||Wahweap State Hatchery||$150,000||$150,000||BC questioned need for $75K for the aquarium building when Utah said they|
|NEW||UNSOL||Develop larval CSF diet||$16,700||$16,700||New SOW was submitted to and reviewed by BC. If the 10K in future years|
|NEW||NEW||Hatchery facilities review||$0||BC recommends this be a 2-year SOW: with no $ in FY 99, and $12K (plus|
|NEW||NEW||Eval. CSF stocking/translocation:||$0||See contingency list.|
|NEW||UNSOL||Collect RBS larvae for future broodstock||$0||Committee agreed to defer until they evaluate how to solve the problem of|
|V. Research, Monitoring & Data Management||$772,000||$772,000||$0|
|15||OR||Larval Fish Lab Identification||$50,000||$50,000|
|16||OR||Database Management||$34,500||$34,500||5K restored to this project and 22a reduced by $5K.|
|22||OR||ISMP (733.7K total)|
|22a||OR||FWS, Adult CSF monitoring||$26,000||$26,000||Frank will revise SOW to eliminate overlap with 16.|
|22a2||OR||CSF population monitoring||$44,000||$44,000|
|22a3||OR||HBC Population estimate in Black Rocks||$20,000||$20,000|
|22a4||OR||HBC Population estimate in the Yampa||$21,000||$21,000||If FY 98 results show that a population estimate isn't feasible, then the FY|
|22b||OR||CDOW ISMP on Colorado, White &||$31,300||$31,300|
|22c||OR||UDWR, Salt Lake City||$161,000||$161,000|
|22d||OR||Razorback Basinwide Monitoring||$208,000||$208,000|
|22||OR||Green R. YOY CSF pop. & surv. estimates||$24,000||$24,000||See contingency list.|
|22f||OR||Yampa, lower Green, & lower Colo. CSF||$76,800||$76,800|
|50||O||Eval. of razorback sucker stocking||$47,000||$47,000||Update SOW to include a column showing actual numbers of fish stocked.|
|90||O||Distr. of hatchery-reared RBS||$0||$0||PD'S office error. No carry-iver available (study was cut back to $10K in FY|
|NEW||NEW||Survival of early CSF life stages||$0||Give to ISMP group to integrate as appropriate with other ISMP work.|
|NEW||NEW||Survival of early RBS life stages||$0||For razorback suckers, we'll probably have to defer this type of work until we|
|NEW||NEW||Assessment of ISMP||$10,000||$10,000||Committee supports enlisting outside help in refining population estimate|
|NEW||NEW||Contribution of tributaries to recovery||$7,500||$7,500||Revise SOW, delete San Rafael assessment portion and include a|
|NEW||NEW||Maintain IMO model||$10,900||$10,900||Committee didn't agree to fund model update every year, so only approved|
|NEW||UNSOL||Interactive catostomid larvae key||$0||$0||Committee agrees we need to think about this for the future and may be able|
|DIFFERENCE (Negative numbers in parentheses)||($1,300)||($23,300)|
|CONTINGENCY PROJECTS||# of Votes|
|29a||OR||Additional funds for O&M of new Grand||7||Funded|
|25||OR||Additional funds for #25 to monitor||6||Funded|
|22f||OR||Yampa, lower Green, & lower Colo. CSF||6||Funded|
|22||OR||Green R. YOY CSF pop. & surv. estimates||5||$39,400|
|NEW||NEW||San Rafael River assessment||4||$62,500|
|NEW||NEW||Eval. CSF stocking/translocation:||3||$33,000|
|90||O||Distr. of hatchery-reared RBS||1||$21,000|